An icon

Do proof of identity documents need to be translated?


If your proof of identity and/or linking documents are in a language that is not understood by the person carrying out the verification, they must be accompanied by an English translation prepared by an accredited translator.

Any document that has been certified in a language other than English must also be translated to English by a person authorised to do so. According to ASIC (the Australian Securities & Investments Commission), a translation made outside of Australia must be certified as a correct translation into English by:

  • a person who has lawful custody of the original document - that is, a person who exercises functions similar to those exercised by ASIC, or;
  • a notary public, or;
  • a translator under the law

This information is available on the ASIC website.