An icon

How does super work for temporary residents of Australia?

If you have worked in Australia as a temporary resident and you have permanently left the country, you may be eligible to claim the super benefit you have accumulated while working here, less any tax. The payment is called a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). A DASP can be claimed if:

  • You visit Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa; and
  • Your visa ceases to be in effect (it has expired or been cancelled); and
  • You leave Australia.

For more information about DASP, visit the ATO website here.

How to claim my super benefit

If you are a temporary resident and you permanently leave Australia, you have six months to claim your super benefit. If you do not claim it within this time it will be transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as unclaimed money. If that happens, you will need to contact the ATO to claim it. For more information, visit the ATO website at

IMPORTANT: If you are a former temporary resident whose superannuation benefits is transferred to the ATO as unclaimed money, you will not be notified of this or receive an exit statement after the transfers occurs. We will rely on relief provided by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) Class Order [CO 09/437] which says, in effect, that superannuation trustees are not obliged to meet certain disclosure requirements in relation to non-residents that have ceased to hold an interest in the fund as a result of the payment of unclaimed superannuation to the Commissioner of Taxation. If you require any further information, contact us on 1300 658 422.